Friday, September 20, 2013

Settlement Agent Drama....I'm Not Going Down Without a Fight!


So I received an email from my loan officer asking me to clarify who the Settlement Agent would be since she received one name from me and another name from the SR at Ryan. I was pretty ticked off because I have made it clear that I do not want to use Ryan’s preferred agent because their fees are nearly double what I’d pay elsewhere.

This process has been both exciting and frustrating. I don’t have the best relationship with my loan officer—Navy Fed’s loan officers lack customer service skills. Whenever I email my loan officer it takes days to get a response, and it’s almost impossible to reach her by phone. Whenever, I do speak to her she is such a witch (you know she’s really the other word) that she ends up ruining my whole day. In fact, if it weren’t for the low rates and costs Navy Fed offers I would have financed with someone else.  I liked the loan officer that I was working with through NVR (Ryan’s financing company), but their fees were outrageous! They charged $71 for a credit check whereas Navy Fed only charged $11. That’s a big difference! They were offering $3000 toward closing cost, but when I looked at what they were going to be charging I saw that they weren’t really giving us anything, and since Navy Fed was offering $2500 toward closing with not nearly as high fees, the choice was easy.

Now Ryan is trying to make me use their preferred Settlement Agent….Well, it will not happen without a fight! They are going to have to show me something in the contract that I signed that states I have to use their preferred attorney; otherwise, they can forget it! I’ve done my homework and their Settlement Agent is charging nearly double what their competitors are charging. I’m convinced that there is an incentive that Ryan will receive for going with that agent because they seem to be persistent about using him. Well, it’s like I said, “it won’t happen without a fight!”

I probably seem like a difficult customer to them —I didn’t go with their financing company and now I’m fighting them on the Settlement Agent. I’m sure most people probably don’t go against the grain, but I don’t care what they think about me. When it comes to the financing portion of this experience I will not compromise! Ryan has millions of dollars WE DON’T so I’m watching how every penny is spent, and I refuse to put extra money in their pockets!

 

…..I’m going to try to calm down and wait for a response to the email I sent the SR (She’s out of the office until tomorrow). We’ll see what she says….

 

4 comments:

  1. You should definitely look at your service agreement. We asked both our SR at RHs and LO at NVR about using our own settlement agent (our realtor suggested it in case fees they'd charge were bad), and while both didn't seem happy to acknowledge it, they both reiterated that it was fine and to give them plenty of notice so they could make sure they were available as well. They also mentioned how convenient it would be to go with them (such as being able to get the keys as soon as we signed and the availability of paperwork in our file since their settlement office was in the same office building as their mortgage and sales branch). Hope you hear good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi J and M,

    I agree that going along with Ryan/ NVR would make for an easy and smooth process, and that is why I grappled with whether or not I should stay with them. Initially I had no intention to rate shop—I didn’t want multiple credit inquiries and they were offering 3k towards closing so I was committed….until I saw the rate they were offering, the 1% origination fee, and the estimated closing cost price sheet. I starting wondering if we were really getting a good deal. My husband has excellent credit (over 800) and mine isn’t bad either over 740, so I thought I better shop around and do my homework on mortgages and fees. This is our first house so there was a lot we didn’t know. My husband is deployed so I’m making most of the decisions on my own and then explaining to him what I’ve done afterwards. I have a degree in accounting so he expects me to know EVERYTHING about money, finance, and business (no pressure..LOL). Anyway, good thing I decided to shop around---Navy fed was offering a .125% lower rate with no origination and no discount points. Plus, I had the option to buy the rate down another .25% if I paid Navy Fed the same 1% origination fee NVR was charging. To make a long story short, NVR offered to drop the origination fee and but they still couldn’t compete with Navy Fed in the long run. So I had to do what was in our best financial interest not what was necessarily easiest. And while I know that using their preferred agent MIGHT make things easier…I am willing once again to forgo the ease and comfort of the process in order to keep that money in our pocket. –Have you seen how many windows are in the Rome? That is a lot of window treatments we have to buy; I can’t afford to throw money away…lol.

    Ironically, the attorney I selected came from the list NVR gave me when I was working with them so Ryan is familiar with the agent I’ve chosen—it’s just not who they prefer. But they will get over it! I’m not pay double the money for the same work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's smart to shop around for all services. This is our first home too so I've been trying to get up it speed on all the various fees they charge, what constitutes steering, etc. my head feels like its spinning sometimes. I definitely admire you for taking this all along while the husbands on deployment!

      At least your agent and Ryan are familiar with each other they both know what to expect. It's just a shame how it seems RHs looks for opportunities to nickel and dime us. Seriously, an extra outlet where there are already ones close by should not cost $125! It's just an extra couple of wires to run to another receptacle. Hope your settlement goes well and your navyfed LO gets her act together!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, Ryan will definitely nickel and dime you, but that’s what corporations do so I’m not mad at them for trying---I’m just not gonna let it happen on my watch….they might nickel and penny me, but they will not get my dimes!!! LOL

    Yes, doing all this on my own is definitely challenging and stressful at times. I miss having my best friend readily available for advice….WELL, sometimes it’s not soooo bad. I do get to have everything my way….lol –just kidding, for the most part.

    My guess is that the LO will never get her act together, so I’ll continue to do as I have---keep my interactions with her brief, don’t take it personal when she acts like a witch, and when all else fails ( and it has failed before)---put her in her place :-/

    ReplyDelete