Monday, December 9, 2013

WE CLOSED!!!..........WAIT, NO KEYS :-(

Well, today was quite eventful!
 
We were already told that we would not receive the keys immediately at closing because we chose to use a different lender and closing attorney. They said that we wouldn't get the keys until the wired funds could be confirmed and the sale had been recorded (a few hours after closing). --Okay...I can handle that considering the fact that my using a different lender and closing attorney is saving me a substantial amount of money. Well....if only it was that simple!
 
My husband came home last week so I've been very busy ;-) Although he is here we knew that he would not be able to attend closing. He has to take the mandatory "Warrior Transition" classes so driving 4.5 hours for closing was not an option. We got a special power of attorney drafted so that I could sign the closing documents for him. WELL GUESS WHAT I DID! I left the original power of attorney in the scanner at the library!
 
I get to the closing table after driving 4.5 hours and having only 4 maybe 5 hours of sleep (I was so excited that I couldn't sleep) only to discover that I didn't have the original POA. Can you imagine how I felt? Oh, and did I forget to mention the fact that my rate lock expires tonight at midnight (Our locked rate is 3.5%... today's rates are closer to 4.25%)... EXACTLY!!! I felt so defeated that I just started crying! Here I had been so organized and thorough up until now, but now...when it really matters, I dropped the ball!
 
I THANK GOD that the attorney I selected was compassionate and willing to work with me!!! Since she had a copy of the POA, she was willing to let me "close", but she said that it could not be recorded until she had the original POA. I called the library and they still had the POA so I called my husband and he was able to go pick it up and Fed Ex overnight it to the attorney. She will get the document some time tomorrow and will record it at that time.

So, while I don't have keys, I am still a homeowner! The crazy thing is that I really don't need the keys because my PM already gave me access to the house ( he gave me the garage door openers & he left that door unlocked). So it all worked out in the end---the only problem is that I had to reschedule my refrigerator delivery and the next available opening wasn't until NEXT Friday ( the 20th), but its okay because we have a deep freezer and my husband has a mini frig that he used to keep at work...we'll just have to make do with those until the new frig is delivered.
 
I'll spend the next few days packing the rest of my house and my husband and I will do a DITY move (do-it-yourself) on Friday. I'll check back in with you all after I get partially settled in.

1 comment: